Monday, November 28, 2011

"A Star Called Henry"-My First Impressions

I have just started the novel "A Star Called Henry", and what I've read so far is very interesting. Right from the beginning, we are given a character who seems to be narrating the story as well.The opening of the book was really nice with the humor of the son being jealous of the older Henry. I also like how there is a quick reference to the title of the book in the first couple lines of the book. From the part where little Henry says that he is hungry and tired, Ireland seems to be going through rough times. Many of the stars don't have names, and little Henry tells us that they went before they were named. So there is more evidence that shows that Ireland is going through some rough times. The other thing that I like was the story of how Melody and Henry met. The way that the scene is described puts a vivid image in my head that I can perfectly picture. The imagery of the characters is another plus that I enjoyed. The way that Roddy Doyle described Henry was perfect in my opinion. I had a clear picture in my mind of what he looked like. I really like the style of writing that Roddy Doyle gives in his novels, and after reading "The Commitments", I knew that I had to read another one of his books. So far, I really can't say anything negative about this book. It is gripping, well thought out, and is just fun to read.

No comments: